Monday, September 12, 2016

Week One in Review

I had it muted, nobody cared, the surgeon just off camera to the right was with me all the way.
Oh I’m sowwy we wuined your wittle pawty Jaguaws. ‘Oh we’re getting better and have a lot of young talent and are finally ready to win some games,’ fuck you. Blake Bortles. Yea right. Not my quarterback not my problem, that’s what I say. Rodgers summed it up succinctly when he said it’s hard to win in this league and it’s especially hard to win on the road in this league. Of course you’d like to blow out a team like the Jags, but a win is a win on the score sheet. You have to be happy about it and build off of it. Anyway, I’m on my honeymoon in a foreign country with a tenuous connection to civilization, but when the Packers win I get at my peeps. So lemme get at you about some shit that I liked and some shit that I didn’t like before I grab some more beers and head out to the next beautiful beach.

What I Liked:

I don't know, Eddie still looks fat to me.
Jordy Nelson: I mean how good was it to see the big dog back? It took a minute, and a few missed connections, but Jordy Nelson was once again a productive receiver for the Green Bay Packers. His longest catch was nine yards but I’ll be gad damned if he wasn’t handsome and exciting. We honestly could not have hoped for any better than several catches and a touchdown. He was movin around and stuff, makin plays, doin all manner of Jody thangs. He’s a good boy.

Run Defense: Now I understand that T.J. Yeldon and Denard Robinson aren’t exactly Thurman Thomas and Emmitt Smith, but them boys couldn’t run for SHIT against this D. The Jags averaged 1.8 yards per carry. And it’s not like they had five or six attempts, they tried to run 26 times! That has to be the difference in the game right there. Their longest run of the game was seven yards. I harp on establishing the run on offense all the time, and for good reason. It’s the foundation of nearly any productive offense. You either give up the tough yards or you take them, and our front seven took them on Sunday.

This is just cool.
Lane Taylor: Don’t recall the young man being mentioned even one time. The knock on Taylor is that he’s a downgrade from Sitton in terms of pass-blocking. That’s likely true, but Rodgers was sacked just once on Sunday and I don’t think it was Taylor who gave it up. Our backs averaged just 3.8 yards per carry, but obviously there’s about nine thousand factors that go into that particular stat. I’d say Taylor’s maiden voyage as our starting Left Guard was a success. He stood up to the pressure and put a non-disaster start on tape.

What I Didn’t Like:

Davante Adams: Okay, he had the touchdown, that was good, I’m with him on that, but the drops? Can we not do this again this year ‘Te? Can we really just not do this again? How a guy can seemingly make every tough catch in the book and so consistently drop passes delicately placed in his bread basket is beyond me. There is enough talent behind Adams that we don’t need him on the field, so I just hope Mac and company manage the depth chart at WR appropriately.

Run/Pass Balance: 65% of our offensive snaps were called passing plays: 34 passing attempts, 4 scrambles by Arodg, and 1 sack. That’s just too god damn many, especially in this type of game where it was close from start to finish. We have got to find a way to run the ball half of the time on offense. Lacy averaged 4.4 per carry, why not feed him more in the second half? Obviously we still don’t trust the running game in crunch time. I get that you want the ball in your best player’s hands when it matters most, I really do, but establishing the run is necessary. It’s not a fucking luxury, it’s necessary. Remember when we won that Superbowl? You know, the only one Rodgers has ever won (or gotten to for that matter)? Remember how important James Starks was during that playoff run and how running the ball helped us win important games against quality opponents? I mean because I remember that, and I’d sure like to win another Superbowl.

**BONUS QUOTE OF THE WEEK**

“If we are the greatest nation the sun ever shone upon, it would seem to be mainly because we have been able to goad our wage-earners to this pitch of frenzy.”

- Upton Sinclair

**WHAT WAS I DRINKING**

Some kind of red wine from Mallorca that was good and also a local beer that is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment