Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week Five in Review

Again, not the kind of win that instills a ton of confidence. We struggled to muster any kind of production in the second half, and again let a floundering team back into the game. We have got to learn how to put our boots on some fucking throats, or we’ll be the ones coming up short soon enough. It’s nice to see the defense playing such fundamentally sound football, stopping the run without stacking the box and shutting down a once potent passing offense despite having their top two corners in sweats. That type of success is sustainable, but the offense needs to elevate their play if we want to be elite. Rodgers still doesn’t quite look like himself. The league has obviously figured out that coverage (not blitzing) is the way to slow down our passing attack, so it’s time to adjust accordingly. IT’S TIME TO ADJUST ACCORDINGLY MAC. Anyway I’m sure we’ll adjust and we’re 3-1 and I love the Packers and football and fall so I’m happy as a bit ol’ fat motherfuckin’ clam. Here’s what I liked and what I didn’t like:

What I Liked:

I love a good gang fuck. I MEAN TACKLE. GANG TACKLE.
Run Defense: Can this defense play the run? Are you kiddin me?™ Once again the Packers bottled up the opposition’s running game, holding the Giants to 43 yards rushing on 14 carries. They did allow their longest run of the season, but it went for all of 14 yards. In four games they have allowed just two runs over 10 yards, and an average of 42.8 yards per game. Both figures are best in the league by a fucking mile. It’s crazy that they were able to keep up this blistering pace on Sunday considering they played a two-high shell for nearly the entire game. This is an unsustainably awesome level of play, but it’s really fun to watch while it lasts. Ezekiel Elliot comes to town next week with the Cowboys, which should be a fun test. I doubt we’ll hold him to 42 yards, but I bet we knock him the fuck around a bit.

Mac even let Spriggs get his feet wet.
Pass Blocking: Obviously Arawdg had all day. I know they were only rushing four, and Lacy kept them honest with some good production, and the Packers kept a tight end or running back in to block quite a bit, but I don’t care. That was an NFL defense attempting to rush a quarterback, and being turned away like Homer Simpson at The Frying Dutchmen all-you-can-eat buffet. Why I’d sooner eat a bilge rat than shortchange the efforts of this blocking unit. Lane Taylor has replaced the purportedly cantankerous Josh Sitton seamlessly, Tretter has made Linsley a distant memory, and Bakh has emerged as a top tier Left Tackle. That’s all very good news.

This Play: This one. This one right here. I love how pumped up everybody is afterwards. At least four players are visibly excited and ready to bash skulls on the next play. It’s the kind of play that doesn’t scream at you from the stat sheet but has a significant impact on the game.

What I Didn’t Like:

MLBs in Coverage: Well the young bucks finally got exposed in coverage. Both Martinez and Ryan were beaten badly in the passing game, and we were extremely lucky it didn’t hurt us more than it did. It was shades of AJ Hawk and Brady Poppinga and Brandon Chillar and Brad Jones and I guess there aren’t any middle linebackers that can cover. It’s a tough position to play, you’re expected to play the run like a rabid dog but also have the discipline to quickly diagnose a play fake. There’s no substitute for experience at the position, and nobody on this roster has it. We’ll see more of them looking foolish matched up on a tight end, but that’s just how it has to be. Hopefully their mistakes continue to be masked by solid play everywhere else. Who knows, maybe they’ll defy the decades-long, league-wide trend of pass catchers burning linebackers.

Run/Pass Balance: Ugh. I don’t know, maybe I should just stop talking about it. It’s getting worse. 64% of our offensive plays were called passes. And that’s with Eddie Lacy averaging 7.4 fucking yards per carry. Yea, fine, he left with an injury, whatever. Starks and whats-his-face play this game too! Maybe running the ball isn’t as relevant as it once was, maybe you can get away with a pass happy offense, maybe I’m out of touch; but it is, you can’t, and I’m not.

**I WAS WRONG**

I’ve been outspoken in my disregard for our opponents to the north, and they have made me look foolish. I will own up to that. However I will not deign to mention their name, nor will I respect them in any way, shape, or form. That is all.

**WHAT WAS I DRINKING**

Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale. It’s that time of year and I really enjoy a few pumpkin beers once in a great while.

**BONUS QUOTE OF THE WEEK**

“Like a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich, I’m good.”

     - Mystikal.....last time I swear

1 comment:

  1. The properHome Furniture Movers Dubai are the important thing to making the transition completed nicely.

    ReplyDelete