Monday, October 14, 2013

Week Six in Review


Well it's gut check time assholes. Once again marred by significant injuries, the Packers will have to make do with multiple back-ups starting at crucial positions on both offense and defense. Early reports on Randall Cobb have his leg injury as a broken fibula, likely to cost him six to eight weeks. James Jones has a chance to go this week, but will be listed as doubtful. If he can't go, we'll be left with just two of the wideouts who started the year on the 53 man roster. Jarrett Boykin will be fine (they've kept him around this long for a reason), but whoever lines up outside beyond Nelson and Boykin will have their work cut out for them. Nick Perry reportedly broke his foot while sacking the hilariously overpaid Joe Flacco, relegating us to our third option at weak side linebacker. Nobody knows yet how long he'll be out, but I mean, his foot is broken. I'm not doctor but I figure that ain't no good. Add to this list the injuries to Brad Jones, Bulaga, Matthews, Heyward, Starks, Sherrod, Lattimore, and Tretter, and we are one banged up group. Here's the good news, we're finally playing a tough brand of football. Oh we can still go shotgun and spread 'em out with the best of 'em, but we're actually running the fucking ball this year. We've had a 100-yard rusher in four of six games, and are averaging a fantastic 5.2 yards per carry (good for second best in the league, behind the run happy Eagles). There's been talk of more running plays upsetting Aaron Rodgers' rhythm, but I say fuck that. There's just no way a greatly improved running game can make you a worse team. While the running game has been at it, the defense has been tough as nails. Defending short fields, goal line stands, sacking the quarterback, the whole deal. Only the Jets and the Broncos are giving up fewer rushing yards per game than us, and whoever is playing the Broncos is almost immediately down by three touchdowns, so they can't very well commit to the running game anyway. If we want to keep winning games amidst all these injuries, we're going to have to go old school. That means continuing to run the ball, continuing to play great defense, and making the occasional explosive play on offense to win the close games. Kinda like what we did against Baltimore yesterday. Here's what I liked and what I didn't like:

What I Liked (All Defense Edition!):

A.J. Hawk: After seven plus seasons, and in a game where inside linebacker is about as depleted as a position group gets, A.J. Hawk finally had the kind of game you'd expect from a number five overall draft pick. Ten tackles, three sacks, and five tackles for a loss. Phenomenal stats. He got after the quarterback all game long, and made tackle after tackle in the running game. He played with a mean streak yesterday that has not often been seen from the Packers' defense lately. I'm not making any predictions about superstar play from Hawk going forward, but I was happy to see him have this kind of game. He's earned it.

If he can add a few picks to the stat sheet, I'm sayin...
Micah Hyde: Flat out, the kid hits like Charles Woodson. That's high mother fucking praise for a rookie. He wraps up players over the middle and brings them to the ground violently. He can tackle running backs, wide outs, tight ends, qbs, it doesn't matter. In addition to his seven tackles, he had one tackle for a loss, a sack, and a forced fumble. Oh and guess who stuck his nose right in there at the point of attack on the fourth down goal line stand. IT'S YA BOY! I'd have to go back and review the game to be sure, but I don't remember him getting beat on any big plays in the passing game either. Add to that his 16, 20, and 34 yard punt returns, and it's clear he had himself a damn good game. I hope he keeps getting opportunities to get on the field.

Third Down Defense: The defense held the Ravens to just 2 for 14 on third downs, making the most of five sacks and ten tackles for a loss. Amazingly, the defense did not allow a single third down conversion in the entire second half. Although the players did very well, plenty of credit should go to the defensive coaching staff. Torrey Smith, by far Baltimore's number one receiving threat going into Sunday's game, was held to just one catch for 12 yards on four targets. Tanden Doss had 99 yards receiving, but, uhhh, I'll take my chances with Tanden Doss any week. Keep up the great work Dom Capers, Joe Whitt, Kevin Greene, Winston Moss, and the rest.

What I Didn't Like:

Ball Security: The botched blocked punt by Kuhn was a boneheaded play from a typically steady veteran. It was dumb and costly, but an aberration. It was good to see Kuhn go straight to the special teams coach on the sidelines and take his lumps. Believe me, that won't happen again. What I'm worried about are the two fumbles by Rodgers. Of course the offensive line needs to bear a good chunk of this burden, but Rodgers needs to take care of that football. I hate to say it, but he reminded me a little bit of Favre the way he was just winging the ball around in the pocket. The play is a failure whether you fumble the ball or take the sack, so just take the sack if you have to, especially considering how well your defense has been playing. Rodgers also threw another uncharacteristic pick on a jump ball to Jordy. I'm not sure how many more weeks I can call throws like that 'uncharacteristic' if he continues to chuck 'em up. Rodgers has played well this year, no doubt, but I'd just like to see him take care of the football a little better.

B.J. Raji: Johnny Jolly, Jamari Lattimore, Chris Banjo, and C.J. Wilson. That's a list of players who had more tackles yesterday than B.J. Raji. It's hard to nitpick a defense that's playing so well, and particularly against the run, but where has Raji been all year? He's got seven tackles and zero sacks through five games, and just two tackles over the last three games. I love B.J.'s attitude and consider him a leader on the defense. Furthermore, a ton of what a defensive tackle does never shows up on the stat sheet. That being said, this is a contract year for the big fella, and if his first five games are an indication of the kind of year he's gonna have, I'm not sure we'll see him back in Green Bay next year.

That's nice Mason. That is niiice.
Mason Crosby: What the hell Mason? A miss from 44 yards? Nah I'm just playin' big cat. Stay keepin' your bubble pourin'.

**BONUS COMMERCIALS THAT PISSED ME OFF**

'Torque is what gets the cap off your beer!' - Ford Motor Company.

Fuck off Ford, treating me like a caveman does not make me feel inadequate enough to buy one of your trucks.

'Last year, final play, broken play, they're all broken plays...' - Rob Lowe on the 'Lowe Family Turkey Bowl'

Ahahaha. HAHAHAHA. HILARIOUS ROB LOWE! The last play was a broken play? So your son ran a ten yard puma instead of that twenty yard post you've been setting up since the first quarter? No doubt you'll clean that up at the 'Lowe Family Christmas Film Review Session.' Why do I love football? That's what you're asking me NFL? Because it's awesome, not because Rob fucking Lowe got choked up at the perfect moment while pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining. I already love your product, no matter how hard you try to ruin it, so just shut up about it and take my money.

**WHAT WAS I DRINKING?**

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The beer for all occasions. Maybe one of these weeks I'll drink something other than beer, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm waiting for Week Seven in Review! Also, the Pack should win their next five games - Vikings, Bears, Eagles, Giants and Vikings (again). Mark my word, 9 - 2 when the turkey's in the oven.

    ReplyDelete